Friday, February 15, 2013

Sylamore 50K Eve

Just a quick thought about race day tomorrow.  It will be my first attempt at a 50K.  Kevin completed this race last year.  I was at the finish line when he crossed it.  He was exhausted but I could tell how proud of his accomplishment he was.  I had been telling him how crazy he was all along but I will admit, part of me was jealous.  I never had thoughts of even attempting it.  I was running my first Little Rock Marathon 2 weeks later and never thought I would pull off two races this long in that short period of time.  Kevin did, completing both races and doing very well.

Several months later when Kevin and I started hashing out plans for our races this spring, I decided I would try to focus on trails.  In true "Average Joe" fashion, we think we bit off more than we can chew.  The key word is "THINK".

I woke up this morning very nervous, very anxious, while also being very excited.  I am a Christian and Jesus is the cornerstone of all I do in life.  I try to follow him in all I do and all decisions I make.  I fall short of that often, but I am thankful for a God who forgives.  This particular verse has helped ease my anxiety today.

Mark 9:23 

23“What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”

This makes me believe I can do it, even if my feet give me trouble, even when I am wondering why I would do this about mile 22.  I plan to enjoy the outdoors, enjoy the new people I am looking forward to meeting tomorrow (along with the beer afterwards!), and enjoy the fact that I am about to complete the longest race of my life.  Pretty awesome stuff.

Good luck to all those at the Sylamore 50K tomorrow.  I hope everyone gets a PR!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think!